Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Who's a Square?


Sometimes the ups in my life can be as simple as a bar of chocolate--or four. When the Walgreen's circular came out in the Sunday ad section of the Chronicle, I was thrilled to see that my new fave chocolate, Ritter Sport, was on sale for $1.59 (per 100 gram bar)! Down from a whopping $2.19! There's a price to pay for good chocolate in this here city, let me tell you. I often prefer a rotating array of Belgian, Swiss and French chocolatiers, but as of late my heart has softened for the German Dark Chocolate with Marzipan "quadrat" that I once favored as a college student. (Thanks for sending me some Ritter for Christmas, Mom!)

Upon seeing the ad, I rushed to the nearest Walgreen's (which happened to be in Walnut Creek) to find absolutely no Ritter, and to learn that the ad applied to San Francisco and Peninsula-area stores only. (Is there really no market in the deep East Bay for German chocolate?) I returned to S.F., scouting out the two Walgreen's in the 'hood, neither with any sign of a Ritter bar, before discovering 16 flavors of Ritter Sport available at a third location. Fearing an impending rush on the discounted chocolate, I decided to stock up and bought four bars. Now that's a lot of high quality square-a-liciousness for me to enjoy in the coming months.

No comments: