Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Quichefflé

One of the great things about where I work is the proximity to South Park, a small tree-filled round, bordered by smart Edwardian-style homes. The park itself dominates the center of this nook, with a number of European cafes looking out onto it. Even the burrito place tries to "take it overseas" with the name "Mexico au Parc." (Euro-fever is never-ending.)

Any friend of mine who enjoys food and lives or works near San Francisco has had the pleasure of dining with me at The Butler and the Chef, a French bistro restaurant looking out onto le parc. Though a bit on the pricey side (for a lunch menu), the food is simple and elegant--and it's just plain good. Most of the time I've played it safe, ordering the onion soup gratinée that I know and adore. The chef uses beef stock in the soup (but, of course!) and two baguette slices top it off, each loaded with gruyere that tends to spill down the sides of the bowl. The menu offers salads, croques monsieurs and madames, crepes and baguette sandwiches as well. But the only thing that has ever tempted me away from the adored soup is the "quiche of the day." A server will alert you to which quiche is available each day before you've had a chance to order. A combo like salmon and spinach is easy for me to resist, but tell me there's bacon, mushroom, artichoke, or red bell pepper in that quiche, and it's all I can do to say no.

It finally hit me three weeks ago. Why say "no?" I had watched a number of heavenly slices pass by me each time I dined there, and regretfully wondered why I hadn't asked for one myself. But something changed that day, and I ordered the bacon quiche. It was eggy pudding and savory tart all in one. This "quiche," as TBATC calls it, is more a cross between a quiche and a soufflé. It's really its own dish, puffing up three to four inches high, with a creamy interior and a flaky dark brown crust that billows up and folds over on itself, like a chef's hat. So original it is that I feel it deserves a better name. I've decided to call it a "quichefflé" (pronounced keeysh-flay).

Now I've made plans to go back there on Friday, and it's all I can do to stop thinking about eating the quichefflé. So forgive me for not posting a recipe of my lemon walnut cake as promised, I've had other things, including the quichefflé, on my mind. I'll try to concentrate again on the duty at hand. Maybe tomorrow. And I'll let you know if Friday's quiche is all that I've made it out to be.

No comments: