Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Grape Jelly-Chili Meatballs


My mom and I discuss this odd dish frequently. This is one of the few all-American (kind of) meals she makes--with a twist. The meatballs (which have morphed from being made with ground beef to ground turkey over the years,) are then served with pasta--preferably bow-tie/butterfly shapes (farfalle)--and covered in a delicious stovetop brew of grape jelly and chili sauce. EWW, right? Wrong--these are so good. As soon as I get the recipe from my mom, I'll post.

And now, a challenge. Readers, I've been lacking inspiration in the kitchen as of late. (As you guessed by my infrequent posting.) I haven't made anything new and exciting, instead running through the usual kitchen staples: chili, stir fries, pasta. It's just a passing phase, and I'll be back to trying new recipes, but I'd love to know if you have a food challenge for me in the meantime. Ideas?


3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Lutefisk. If you make it taste good, you will be the best cook in the world!

Stephanie said...

Hrmmmm... how about a reasonably healthy quiche. I love quiche, especially on the cheesy side, and have always enjoyed a slice with a baby greens salad as a light lunch in the summer. Of course, it's super bad for you. Is there a way to do this without giving myself a coronary?

Or do you just hate quiche and not even want to attempt it?

Jessica said...

Thanks for the thought Tiff. They say that's what counts. Personally, I think you'd like to laugh your head off at me soaking that awful codfish in lye and then attempting to eat it. No way. I'll leave that to Brandi!!

Steph: excellent idea. I suppose you missed my "quicheffle" entry from February, I think it was. Unfortunately, I haven't posted a picture of that restaurant's delicious quiche. I'm due to make a quiche any month now. Wanna come visit? I like this idea. Define "reasonably healthy" first, and then I'll take it away from there!