Monday, February 2, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup






What have I to complain about, weather-wise? I'm lucky enough to live in California, where the temperatures have been up and down but reaching 65 degrees on the odd January day. But San Francisco can also be very cold, as I've mentioned over and over. It's the humidity, I think. Cloudy, cold days scream soup to me. As in, I should eat some.


I've never been a huge soup fan. It somehow doesn't seem as satisfying as a sandwich. "Liquid lunches" have never held the number one spot in my lunchtime repertoire because I tend to feel hungry only an hour or two after eating soup. But soup is good for you. This winter I've trained myself to slurp it and feel satisfied. By adding a slice of bread--maybe a tiny bit of butter--the meal feels rounded out. (Have I been living under a rock? you're thinking. Cause I'm pretty sure cafes have been serving soup with bread forever.) Just let me enjoy my naivete, and you enjoy the recipe I have to offer for a delicious butternut squash soup.


Butternut Squash Soup

adapted from Eating Well magazine


1 medium butternut squash, halved, seeded, and roasted (350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour. The longer it cooks and more caramelized the squash, the better flavor your soup will have.)

1 tbsp olive oil

2 stalks celery, diced

2 carrots, chopped

1 sweet onion, diced

4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)

2 cups water

2 tsp cumin

1 dash ground cloves

1 dash cayenne

1/2 serrano pepper (de-seeded if you want less heat in your soup)

salt and pepper to taste


Allow the roasted squash to cool. Meanwhile, in a large pot pour in olive oil and add onions. Allow to soften for 1 minute. Add celery and carrot and cook over medium low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Scoop squash flesh out into pot. Add chicken broth and water, and spices (except for salt and pepper). Bring soup to a gentle simmer and let cook for 20-25 minutes. The water level should be reduced by about 1/4, then remove soup from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup to desired consistency. Enjoy warm, with some hearty wheat bread.

No comments: